Popular Posts

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Close Encounter of the Third Kind Downunder Part 1

Of all the physical and emotional aspects I've come prepared to live Downunder, I did not come prepared for paranormal experiences. I have always been travelling alone for work and did come across some weird encounters; I didn't think I would be so taken aback by my one year of gruelling experience encountering "them" while trying to settle down here.

You don't have to believe it, and FYI, I'm not religious. I'm just here to share my experiences and hopefully you will enjoy reading it and don't have to go through it yourself.

PART 1: The Flying Min Min Lights
It was a Halloween moonless night and we were travelling along a highway in NSW in our campervan around midnight. My hubby and I were on one of those long holidays where we would drive all the way along the east coast and stopped wherever we wanted to sight-see.

We hadn't reached our campsite as the campervan had somehow refused to start while we were at the National Park. Once we were back on the road, we had a quick dinner and continued our journey back.

As we drove along the country road, everything was dark and meaningless, occasionally a few wild rabbits would dash across the highway. It wasn't really a grand highway, just a lane in each direction. There was no motorist anywhere in sight in either direction.

Suddenly, we saw some moving objects in the distance. They looked like torches and my hubby's instant reaction was to ask me to check if the windows were up, and all the doors were locked. Earlier in the day, a stranger had tried to climb into the van to pinch things while we stopped for a break. My gut instinct too was telling me whoever that was in front of us, was a mob trying to stop us as the fireballs led onto the side road. As we came closer, the torches appeared to be balls of fire like the ones used by buskers where they swing and juggle simultaneously. The balls were dancing randomly as though the holders were swinging them. After all, it could be one of the ways the Aussies celebrate Halloween? I held my breath back, and tried to think it was just a part of the celebration in a village.

As we approached the lights, as sudden as it appeared, they disappeared. We had the beam light on and surveyed the surrroundings, there was nobody, no houses, just an open field.

I heaved a sigh of relief although at the back of my head, there were unanswered questions. My hubby was quiet too. We kind of mutually dismissed it and went to sleep that night.

The next morning, we had brekkie at a roadside cafe and while I was wandering nearby, I saw a poster on a tree stump that talked about the history of the place. Legend had it that it was discovered by 3 aboriginal brothers who used to hunt at nights with their torches in that area. The last sentence sent a chill down my spine - you could still see their hunting lights sometimes as their spirits live on.

No shit. I tugged on my hubby's sleeve and after reading it, we both looked at each other.

We met an aborginal friend who didn't even lift an eyebrow when we told him what we saw that night. He nodded and said it was Min Min lights. "So what? Some humans you meet while travelling are more terrifying than Min Min." Quite true.

When we finally went home, I began online research. It is on wikipedia so if you really want to know the scientific explanation, there are already articles written on it.

Perhaps it wasn't paranormal as it has already been explained by science. But for us, it was a small but significant event followed by a series of "bad luck" which eventually led our lives in danger...(to be continued.)

No comments:

Post a Comment